Ha Giang Trekking in Mysterious Limestone Highland Tour 5days
Highlights Good combination of classic travel with culture discovery. Magnificent and beautiful landscapes, wild nature of the far north, especially the Dong Van limestone highland. Discovery and experiencing of local tribal ethnics’ unique cultures and ways of life. Joining tribal ethnic peoples at one of the traditional market: Bac Ha, Can Cau, Cao Son, Lung Khau Nhin, Muong Khuong.
We have a range of trekking tours available for you to choose from that have been specifically designed to enable you to experience some of the very best landscape and scenery that Vietnam has to offer. During the treks you will have the opportunity to sleep under the stars in a tent or in a local family house.
Most of our treks start with a jeep ride to take us out of town to where the real adventure starts. Your English speaking, Vietnamese guide will be able to answer questions about the countryside as well as local ethnic minority cultures and customs. During the treks you will only have to carry a small daypack with your personal belongings and of course your camera. Porters from the Black H’Mong ethnic minority hill tribe will carry the rest of your luggage in special watertight bags.
• English or French speaking guide
• Black Hmong porters (to carry food and luggage)
• Cook (from group sizes of 6 clients)
• All needed transport
• All indicated meals, plus snacks (B as breakfast; L as lunch; D as dinner)
• Water on the whole trip
• Sleeping bag and mattresses
• Waterproof bluebag for luggage
• Tents if needed
• Mosquito net
• All entrance fees and permit
• Overnight in local house or tent
• Personal Pocket Money
• Soft drink (beer, coca cola…)
• All other services not indicated above.
Day 1: Hanoi – Thai Nguyen – Tuyen Quang – Quang Binh ( –, L, -)
– Depart at 08.00 from Hanoi by vehicle for Thai Nguyen City. Arrive in Thai Nguyen at 09.30. Paying visit to the famous Museum of ethnology here.
– 10.00 Leaving Thai Nguyen for Tuyen Quang. The road trip along national road 37 also offers beautiful landscapes with features of the midland between the northern mountainous region and the Red River including flat rice fields, large valleys lying amongst hilly land and mountains, especially famous for lush tea farms. The region is also home to several ethnic groups such as Tay, Dao, Cao Lan.
– Lunch break in Tuyen Quang Township.
– Leaving Tuyen Quang, following national road 2 uphill 75 km to Vinh Tuy and then turning to a back road to travel through the prosperous lowland region of Quang Binh District, Ha Giang province. This region stretches for over 50km long between the Chay and Lo rivers with dozens of beautiful valleys separated by low mountain passages which form perfect home to the Tay ethnic peoples. After some photo stops, clients will enjoy walking and visiting Chi village of the Tay consisting of nearly 100 wooden houses built on stilts in the traditional style.
Arriving at Quang Binh town let late in the afternoon, check in local guesthouse, freshen up and Dinner.
Road transfer 283 km. Total walking and sightseeing 2 hours.
Lunch with Vietnamese menu included.
Accommodation: Ha Phuong Guesthouse: Air-coned and clean room, private bathroom with hot shower, western toilet.
Day 2: Quang Binh – Nam An – Ha Giang – Bac Me (B, L, -)
– Breakfast and leaving Quang Binh at 08.00 and driving 14 km to My Bac Commune, walking for ½ hour around My Pac village, paying visit to local homes to discover the unique culture of the Pa Then ethnic peoples. There is opportunities to see Pa Then women making traditional brocade and costumes.
– Leaving My Pac Village and driving 37 km for about an hour to Nam An. This is a special tip of the day! At the top of the mountain pass about 3 km off the national road 2, great view of the valleys, Lo river… opens wide and far beneath the feet. Nam An used to be a narrow and deep valley, built into a reservoir to run a hydraulic power plant and has become an eco-site amidst high mountain covered by lush forest. Taking a short rest breathing fresh air before walking around the lake to visit a Red Zao village which is remaining as its own way in spite of changes in living condition.
– Lunch in a house built by the water and relax. Clients may swim in the emerald clear water or moving around the lake on bamboo rafts or boats.
– Leaving Nam An at about 13.30 driving 45 km to Ha Giang, taking another short walk to visit Me Village of the Tayp. Walk about 3 km around Me village of the Tay before processing to Ha Giang for a coffee break.
– Following national road 34 for nearly 3 hours to Bac Me town let, taking several photo and sightseeing stops along the way.
– Arriving in Bac Me at about 17.30. Check in hotel and free walk to explore this charming town let, which is beautifully set on the bank of the Gam river.
Total driving is 145 km. walking and sightseeing 3 – 4 hours
Breakfast & Lunch included: Vietnamese set menu
Accommodation: Local guesthouse: Clean room, private bathroom with hot shower, western toilet.
Day 3: Bac Me – Meo Vac – Dong Van (B, L, -)
– Breakfast and departure for Meo Vac. The first portion 51 km of the road, weaving its way along the Gam river amongst high mountains and thick forest, offers beautiful scenery. Enjoying some viewing stops and quick sightseeing along the way.
– Crossing the Gam river and following the newly built road uphill for about 27 km to Niem Son commune and spend almost an hour here for visiting the local market and paying visit to a small village of the H’mong and Nung ethnic peoples.
– Continue along the road 25 km uphill through the remote and deserted region to Meo Vac with the tough topography and climate of this remote highland which is in high contrast with what have been seen for two days before. Getting close to Meo Vac, there appeared some small hamlets of the H’mong built on the immense limestone world. Stop for visiting one of these hamlets for the first impression of the very hard life on this mysterious limestone highland.
– Arriving in Meo Vac at noon, take a quick look at the market and lunch break.
– Afternoon starts with visiting to a small village of the Lolo before leaving Meo Vac for the real discovery of the limestone highland. The narrow road winds its way on the wall-up and deserted mountain sides offering great view of a narrow valley where the Nho Que river sneaking, amidst mountain feet. This is Ma Pi Leng, probably the most famous mountain passes in Vietnam! After several photo stops, the group will pay a visit to Ma Pi Leng village of the H’mong for witneesing unimaginably hard life on this highland for hundreds of years. Also here the true value of cultivated land and water can be seen!
– Covering the last 16 km of the road to Dong Van. Check in hotel, having a short rest before a leisure walk to the market place and the old street of Dong Van. It is really a good chance to see one of the uniqueness of local minority life If on Saturday. This part will be crowded and lively for many tribal peoples coming from remote and isolated villages.
Total driving is 160 km. walking and sightseeing 4 hours
Accommodation: Rocky Highland Hotel – 2 star
Breakfast, Lunch included: Vietnamese set menu
Day 4: Dong Van – Lung Cu – Vuong Palace – Pho Bang – Quan Ba (B, L, -)
– Breakfast, check out hotel at 08.00 and drive 26 km to Lung Cu commune located on the northernmost tip of Dong Van highland and Vietnam as well. Here clients will pay visiting to two villages: One of the H’mong ethnic – majority of Dong Van district – and one of the Red Lolo – A very small ethnic group.
If on Friday: The group will leave Dong Van earlier for having about an hour more to attend the communal market of Lung Cu, which is colorful and interesting.
If on Sunday: Spend 2 hours in the morning for attending the famous Dong Van market and leave for Lung Cu at 09.30. In this case arriving in Quan Ba late at about 19.00.
– Leaving Lung Cu down hill for about 25 km, the group will enjoy sightseeing at the famous historical and cultural site: The Vuong Family Palace once ruled over the H’mong in the region and popularly known as King of the H’mong.
– Continue by road for 17 km to Sung La commune beautifully set at the foot of Pho Cao mountain pass. Here the group will walk around the Lung Cam village, paying visiting to H’mong families, especially the very old typical and beautiful house here.
– Driving uphill a stunning mountain pass, enjoy viewing stop before turning right for 5 km to Pho Bang ancient town let. This town let was built hundreds of years ago as a regional trading center between the local and Chinese traders. Walking for about an hour to explore this charming town let which is featured with two storey wooden houses, clay walled, Yin and Yang tiled roofs and leisure atmosphere.
– Leaving Pho Bang for a driving down hill to a lush valley where Yen Minh town let located for late lunch break.
– Leaving Yen Minh for a drive uphill of a long and high mountain pass, enjoying marvelous scenery the lush forest and stop at the top of the pass for great view of the surrounding region.
– Take a break at the foot of the pass far walking to visit a village of the La Chi, another small ethnic group with only over 3,000 individuals in Vietnam whose culture is really unique and strong.
– Continue by road 4C along the Mtem river for an hour, walking to visit Nam Dam village of the Zao ao dai (Zao with long dress) located at the center of a large and stunning valley before arriving in Tam Son town let of Quan Ba district. Check in hotel for freshen up and relax. Evening is at leisure.
Total driving is 132 km. Walking and sightseeing: 4 hours.
Breakfast, Lunch: Vietnamese set menu
Accommodation: Tam Son Hotel
Day 5: Quan Ba – Ha Giang – Ha Noi (B, L, -)
– Leaving Tam Son town let and drive uphill to the Cong Troi(Quan Ba Heaven Gate) which is famous for the great view of the Tam Son valley with the “ Twin Hills”. Clients may wish to take a short walk to visit small hamlet of the H’mong here before continuing downhill along the road 4C to Ha Giang and onto Hanoi.
– Lunch stop at Bac Quang town let.
– Arriving back to Hanoi in late afternoon, about 6.00 pm and trip end.
Transfer 362 km
Breakfast & Lunch included.
We can tailor make a tour that will best match your budget – the guide below serves as a reference point for you to decide how much to spend on this trip.
LOWER BUDGET THAN THIS?
Budget lower than $(this price) in per person?
We surely can help
As our price is set according to the length of itinerary and the detailed program given, we can make changes in this tour to help you keep your budget.Etc…
Below are some possible changes to make your tour fit better in your budget
we can customize this tour with shorter duration.Etc…
some activities and tours can be in a group and non-private.Etc…
We can look into lower budget hotel for you without compromising the quality.Etc…
We can change the itinerary that fits your expectation and budget requirement.Etc…
ABOUT $(This Price) in PER PERSON
How our prices work:
All of the portion of the tour are private (unless otherwise stated): airport pick up, guided tour, etc. Price is based on 2 people travelling together so if you are a single person, the price may differ. We place a strong focus on both individualized experience and value for money – so please enjoy your tour booking process with us with peace of mind.