Tu Lan Jungle Challenge 2days
Vietnam’s Cave Kingdom, the Quang Binh province, is not only home to some spectacular caves but it’s also the residence of unexplored primary jungle, karst mountains, sparkling rivers, and tumbling waterfalls. The scenery is inspiring and the natural environment provides an escape from the usual bustle of life.
Our Tu Lan Jungle Challenge is a tour designed for those intrigued by these elements of nature, with fewer cave jaunts than our traditional tours.
You’ll still get a dose of the must-see underground world with 2 dry caves and 1 river cave explored throughout the duration of the challenge.
The tour starts with time spent in a local village where you’ll have the chance to fall in love with countryside culture and ends up with a short but thrilling cave swim and waterfall after a strenuous jungle trek. The second day will include the majority of cave visits all around La Ken Valley and you will trek back to the village a different way.
- Operating: from Nov to Sep (closed in Oct)
- Duration: 2 days / 1 night
- Adventure Level: Moderate (level 4) for physically active guests
- Availability: Every Monday, Wednesday & Saturday
- Small Group Tours: Average 4 pax – 10 pax
- Minimum Age: 16 years
- Tour Starts: 7:30 am – 8:00 am from any local hotel in Phong Nha
- Tour Ends: 6:30 pm – 7:00 pm at any local hotel in Phong Nha
Tu Lan Jungle Challenge
Please make sure that your health is suitable for these activities with ease.
- 25 km jungle and mountain trekking, rocky terrain
- Multiple river crossings
- Elevation gain is 150 m (between road and mountain top)
- 600 m caving
- 2 days and 1 night in jungle and caves
- Trekking experience & must be able to walk more than 10km in one day
We Will Provide
- Camping gear: hammock/tent, camp light, sleeping bag
- Caving & safety gear: caving helmet, caving headlight, gloves
- Light PVC backpack (if you do not want to take your own, as it will get wet)
- Semi dry bag (for clothing and personal belongings excl. electronics) for inside the (light PVC) backpack
- Basic canvas trekking boots (only if you do not have your own pair) sizes 36 – 46
- Meals: picnic lunches, breakfast (day 2), dinner (day 1)
- Professional English-speaking tour guide and guide safety assistant
- Porter team to carry all camping gear and prepare all meals
- Shared dry box for phones and small cameras (limited availability for larger cameras)
- Water filter and purifier (used only by guide and porters)
- Basic camping facilities with eco-friendly compost toilet using western toilet seat
- First Aid Kit and Medical Rescue Equipment (application by guides and porters only
- Secure Storage Facility at TLV & Oxalis Headquarters to store all luggage you will not be taking on the trek
You Will Need
- 1 long (easy to dry) pants and 1 long sleeved shirt to wear during the trek (quick dry)
- 1 pair of shorts and t-shirt to wear at campsite plus your swim suit.
- 1 pair of trekking boots/shoes (if you prefer your own comfortable pair)
- 1 pair of flip flop (sandals) for campsite
- 1 medium size towel
- 2-3 pairs of calf length densely woven socks (not ankle socks!)
- Personal items: mosquito repellent, sunglasses, hat, camera, underwear, toiletries
Pricing And Availability
Our Tu Lan Jungle Challenge is available with weekly departures on Monday, Wednesday & Saturday, on a join-in basis (minimum 2pax). It is advised to book in advance as this is a popular tour and the number of guest is limited.
This tour is operated from mid December to August (closed from September to mid-December).
Day1: Phong Nha - Tan Hoa - Yen Tho - Hung Nhai - Hang Doi - Hung Run - Hung Dung
The first day begins with a round pick up from any local hotel within Phong Nha, and then you’ll head to our Tan Hoa base, where your safety briefing will take place. After your tour guide has reviewed your itinerary, trekking rules, and safety measures, you’ll have a few minutes to prepare and pack up for your adventure.
Around 10 am, the group will set off from headquarters across Yen Tho Village and the rolling landscape of peanut and corn fields, backdropped by limestone mountain all around. After a short stop at Yen Tho Dam, the tour escalates with a climb up mountains in this karst topography region. Then, a delicious lunch awaits you at the top of La Ken Valley before continuing the trek through the jungles and along mountainsides.
After a quick break, the group keeps going to reach a stunning waterfall at around 3:30 pm where you can enjoy swimming and taking pictures. Lace up your shoes and swim upstream several meters across the only river cave in this trip – Hang Doi (Bat Cave) – with some introduction from your tour guide about formation of a river cave system. There are two more peaks waiting for you on the top of Hung Nhai Valley and Hung Run Valley before you call it a day at a cozy campsite in Hung Dung Valley. You’ll enjoy a dinner made from scratch by the chef of your porter team, and fall asleep amidst the wild beauty of nature.
Day2: Hung Dung - La Ken - Gibbon Cave - Rat Cave - Tan Hoa
The second day begins with breakfast. You will leave Hung Dung Valley and trek over the mountains to make your way to La Ken Valley, where you’ll be greeted with the sight of Gibbon Cave. This cave is quite big with a beautiful entrance. There is a small deep pool about 150 m inside from the entrance. Some paths through the cave are small and you will have to squeeze and crawl to make your way through. At the end of the cave, the ground is soft from the mixture of soil and limestone powder. With an abundance of cave pearls around, this cave is great for those who like photography.
From Gibbon Cave, it’s time to head back and have a picnic lunch set up next to a river within La Ken Valley. After a short break, you start trekking back to the entrance of Rat Cave where you will discover 300 m of this dry cave with spectacular stalagmites. Then, you will climb down a bit and cross the Rao Nan River before getting back to Tan Hoa Valley. The day slowly ends up with sunset falling among the peaceful countryside with cows, buffaloes and peanut fields along the way back. Arrive back to Tan Hoa base around 4:30 pm – 5:00 pm.
Your tour will finish back in Phong Nha between 6:30 – 7:00 pm.
We can tailor make a tour that will best match your budget – the guide below serves as a reference point for you to decide how much to spend on this trip.
LOWER BUDGET THAN THIS?
Budget lower than $(this price) in per person?
We surely can help
As our price is set according to the length of itinerary and the detailed program given, we can make changes in this tour to help you keep your budget.Etc…
Below are some possible changes to make your tour fit better in your budget
we can customize this tour with shorter duration.Etc…
some activities and tours can be in a group and non-private.Etc…
We can look into lower budget hotel for you without compromising the quality.Etc…
We can change the itinerary that fits your expectation and budget requirement.Etc…
ABOUT $(This Price) in PER PERSON
How our prices work:
All of the portion of the tour are private (unless otherwise stated): airport pick up, guided tour, etc. Price is based on 2 people travelling together so if you are a single person, the price may differ. We place a strong focus on both individualized experience and value for money – so please enjoy your tour booking process with us with peace of mind.